Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Transitions

Moving back to the prairies is a lot like slipping into a cozy old sweater. It's comfortable and familiar and stretched out and misshapen in all the places you stretched out and misshaped over the years and it fits like only a cozy old sweater can fit.
Except somehow I was under the illusion that, I dunno, maybe I'd gotten taller since I last wore it, or my arms were a lot longer, or maybe I just wasn't a sweater person anymore. Maybe I thought it would always be summer and no one would wear sweaters ever again.
I've always disliked the name "Lotus Land." It's like a nickname someone chooses for himself and is the only one to actual use it. But yeah, the last six years were like an opium dream, sensual, magical, hazy and indulgent. I saw more boobs in an average month than in three years back home. Even in winter. It was easy to forget that it was a real city with real-world requirements. Opportunities floated by with such frequency it was hard to choose which ones to hold on to. The more dreams became real, the less dream-like they became, the more they started looking like a heck of a lot of work, and the more tempting it became to roll over and go back to sleep, wait for a new dream.
It has been a long time since I've had anything resembling structure in my life. This current period of transition is pretty much just a variation on a continuing theme. Maybe it's me or maybe it's the curse of modern life. Maybe it's the life longed for by those locked into regular, regimented routines, slowly stifling under strict schedules. Maybe I don't know how good I've got it.
Oh I've had fun. I drank deep of the Lotus' Nectar. And I'm having fun now. There's no friend like an old friend and this city is filled with old friends. Here I am, living in a comfortable home in a comfortable city and still able to reach into the dream world and play with the faeries in the Land of Nod (translation: I can live here and still keep in touch with my friends on the coast through email and such). Soon I will have no time for existential crises, so now is as good a time as any to have one.

If you want to send pictures of your boobs, it would help a lot.
keen.nietzsche@gmail.com

1 comment:

and then the_doctor said...

"It's like a nickname someone chooses for himself and is the only one to actual use it"

nice