Thursday, August 13, 2009

Outskirts

As I biked to the edge of the the city yesterday, I realized just how different this city is from Vancouver. The edge of the city. No mountains, no ocean, not another city. Civilization just tapered off. Gradually, the homes and stores and parking lots became interspersed with fields, butterflies, slews, groves of trees and the steady background noise - not quite a chirp, not quite a hum - of the prairies. I could try and define why I found it so comforting, but I suppose it's just the nature of nature. What I found most comforting was the I, and other people, could still find places like this.

2 comments:

rainswept said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
and then the_doctor said...

I've often imagined that the "non-edge" imparts an iota of freedom in a way that an edge does not.

When I first moved to the ocean, I thought there might be a similarity to the prairies. This turned out not to be the case. Strangely, I spent plenty of time traversing across the ocean (it's easier than say negociating the network of barbwire fences and private property of the prairies) yet somehow there seems to be more feeling of potential freedom on the prairies.
Certainly can't underestimate the value of being able to get out of the city under one's own power.